Board adopts Fiscal Year 2018 budget, tax levy
The board adopted the budget for Fiscal Year 2018. A public hearing on the budget was held prior to the regular board meeting. There were no comments from the public. In a related action, the board accepted the 2017 tax levy (payable 2018). The corporate and special purposes levy went from $3,379,083 in 2016 to $3,547,797 in 2017, an increase of 4.99 percent. The debt service levy went from $2,901,908 in 2016 to $3,117,676 in 2017, an increase of 7.44 percent. Because the corporate and special purposes levy is not greater than 105 percent of last year’s levy, no Truth in Taxation hearing is required.
RLC, Southeastern Illinois College continue partnership, sign MOU for contractual labor
A memorandum of understanding between Rend Lake College and Southeastern Illinois College was approved Tuesday. The MOU lays out the details of the contractual relationship between RLC and SIC for operations and maintenance labor. The agreement highlights the continuation of shared resources between both colleges where appropriate and beneficial to the institutions.
Aquatic Center project to be bid, RLC Foundation pledges assistance
Permission was granted to seek bids for a complete replacement of the PoolPac in the Aquatics Center. The existing PoolPac is original to the building and has exceeded its operational life expectancy. The Rend Lake College Foundation will fund the project, which is estimated at $375,000. The bids will include the unit, installation and commissioning.
University of Southern Indiana, RLC ink Engineering articulation agreement
The board approved an articulation agreement between Rend Lake College and the University of Southern Indiana for Engineering. This agreement allows students to complete an associate degree at RLC and transfer seamlessly to USI in good standing provided they have completed the agreed-upon coursework.
Cornett moving on, DeJarnette returns to executive assistant position
The board accepted with regret the resignation of Mary Cornett, Executive Assistant to the President, with an effective date to be determined. Cornett will be relocating to be nearer to family in mid- to late October. “I have really enjoyed being a part of the team here at Rend Lake College, and working with our board trustees,” Cornett wrote in her resignation letter. “I thank you for your friendship and support in my role.”
In a related action, the board appointed Cathy DeJarnette as Executive Assistant to the President effective Sept. 18, thus providing some overlap between the two to allow for a smooth transition. DeJarnette is a previous holder of the Executive Assistant to the President position, having served in that capacity from the fall of 2011 until September 2014, when she resigned to pursue a business opportunity. She holds both Associate in Science and Associate in Arts degrees from John A. Logan College.
Nichols joins RLC Police Department
The board appointed Sawyer Nichols as Police Officer, effective Sept. 18. He holds an Associate in Science Degree fro Wabash Valley College and has worked part-time for the RLC Police Department since 2015. Prior to that, he was a police officer with the City of Carmi.
The board heard a report on the college’s reaffirmation of accreditation activities. The college is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is due for an evaluation by the HLC in September 2018.
In curriculum matters …
The board approved changes to 29 courses, ranging from changes in credit, lecture or lab hours to changes in repeatability, and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. Additionally, changes to existing courses and the addition of new courses were approved for the Barber and Cosmetology curricula, 18 courses were withdrawn and three horticulture programs were withdrawn.
In other business, the board …
· Heard a report from Dr. Elizabeth Bailey-Smith of the Academic Council covering the curriculum matters taken up by the board Tuesday and reporting on additional meetings and activities.
· Created and approved a job description for a Communications Specialist for Student Services. This description was created to replace the existing Communications Specialist for Business Office job description because the duties of that position are in better alignment with the Student Services Department.
· Approved revisions to board policy concerning tenured / tenure-track faculty and staff seniority list (first reading) and travel reimbursement (first reading). The tenure list is approved twice each year.
Mark your calendars …
· Fun Fest, Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 13, on campus.
· 37th Annual RLC Foundation Golf Outing, Thursday, Sept. 14, Rend Lake Golf Course; noon shotgun start.
· Southern Illinois Health Information Management Association meeting, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 15, Pat Kern Private Dining Area.
· Illinois Regional College Fair, 9-11 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 19, Waugh Gymnasium.
· Upward Bound Banquet, 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 28, Waugh Gymnasium.
· Career Days, Wednesday-Thursday, Oct. 4-5, Ina campus.
· RLC Preview Day, Warrior Fest and Prospect Day, Saturday, Oct. 7, RLC campus. Previous Day and Warrior Fest 9 a.m.-2 p.m.; Prospect Day begins at 10 a.m., Ina campus.
· Faculty / Staff In-Service, Monday, Oct. 9, Ina campus.
· CNA Conference, Friday, Oct. 13, Learning Resource Center.
· RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, Benton Civic Center.
· Criminal Justice Roundup for Scholarships, 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 23, Mt. Vernon Event Center, Salon C (formerly the Holiday Inn).
· RLC Foundation Annual Dinner Meeting, 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, Holiday Inn / DoubleTree Inn, Mt. Vernon.