Current Weather

WRUL On Air Now

Kiki Garcia
Kiki Garcia
Midnight - 4:00am

WROY On Air Now

Keith Summers
Keith Summers
Midnight - 5:00am

Norris City Village Board Wrap

At the two hour meeting, the board approved a pre-application presented by Jim Brown of Brown and Roberts Engineering for work on phase three of the water line rehabilitation project that began in 2006, replacing undersized lines. The village entered into what’s known as a loan/forgiveness program, in which they will get up to 75 % of the cost in the form of a grant, with the other 25% coming from the Illinois EPA at 1% interest rate. Total cost is $941,450. Mayor Roy Kissel said it will improve the quality of the drinking water and improve fire protection efforts.

The budget for the fiscal year beginning May 1st and running until April 30th of 2020 was approved. The total amount is $3,419,748, which includes $461,000 in the general fund, $156,200 in the police fund, $153,000 in Motor Fuel Tax Funds, $533,000 in the gas fund, $415,000 in the water fund and $341,000 in the sewer fund.

Donovan Mead again addressed the board about his request for TIF monies for his metal fabrication business. The board members asked him for references from his former employers, and then a decision will be made at next month’s board meeting.

Luke Marsh gave an update on village “welcome” signs and the board agreed to pay the California company making the signs $1,865 for the first of three signs to be purchased. The other two will be extra if needed. Total cost of the three signs, including landscaping and lighting, will be $5,013.

The elevated water tower painting is finished and water should be gradually added starting Wednesday. After taking off for the Fourth of July Weekend, painting of the other tower will begin.

The American Legion will be asking the board about TIF money for painting and repairs of the Legion Building at next month’s meeting. The board members are invited to the American Legion Veteran’s Fish Fry on Saturday, July 13th from 11:00 AM until 2:30 PM.

In other business, the board agreed to put up stop signs eastbound on Orchard Street and northbound on Carroll Street near Beaty Field, purchase a fire-proof file cabinet for the village office, advertise for bids on a surplus vehicle, the old Crown Victoria Police squad car and approved a resolution to repair or demolish the home of Erica Roberts on North Division Street.

Removal of the old fence at Beaty Field will begin on Monday the 8th.

In the police report for June, there were eight reports written, three arrests made and three citations issued, as well as nine 9-1-1 calls.

Congressman Bailey’s Office will hold a Town Hall Traveling Workshop at the village building this Wednesday from 1 to 2:30 PM.

The next village board meeting will be on Monday, August 5th at 7 PM.