Current Weather

WRUL On Air Now

Kiki Garcia
Kiki Garcia
Midnight - 4:00am

WROY On Air Now

Keith Summers
Keith Summers
Midnight - 5:00am

Joint Policing, Animal Control, and More From the Enfield Village Meeting

The Enfield Village Board held its regular monthly meeting Tuesday night.  Scott Mareing was there and has this report…

The nearly two hour meeting featured an advancement of a long-standing issue and a clarification.  Concerning the joint police force that would include Mill Shoals , Burnt Prairie and Springerton; both Mill Shoals and Springerton approved entering into a joint policing agreement with Enfield, but Burnt Prairie decided against it due to a lack of money.  The other two towns will sign a contract with Enfield, which should be ready by sometime in July once the details are worked out.  It will be for a three month trial period, and if successful, a long term deal will be made.  White County Sheriff Jordan Weiss was at the meeting to discuss the matter.  The board members again noted that the dispatch fee is unfair and Weiss said towns don’t have to use the dispatch service, but then they wouldn’t get all the features they get with it.  He also said there are no plans to raise the fees in the future.

As far as the animal control ordinance that was passed at last month’s meeting, limiting the number of species of companion animals a resident can own to three, Mayor Maurie Black said the reason for passing that specific ordinance is that it already has been challenged in an Illinois court and was upheld.  He and other board members also stressed that this is to help solve a big problem with animals running loose and those residents that take care of their pets and haven’t been in trouble with the law will be left alone.  There were   two people present at the meeting seeking a clarification of the ordinance.

A half hour Executive Session was held and it was decided that Village Secretary Tammy Jones will receive compensation of $18.75 an hour and all Police Department members would each be compensated $23 an hour, effective with the next pay period.

There has been some progress on the street lighting as they will start digging this week.

The new water meters are in and will be installed soon.

The village still hasn’t heard any word on the small business grant.

Ameren has a program that changes lighting in village buildings to LED lights.  Ameren would pay 60% of the cost for installation and all labor costs.  Enfield would have to pay the other 40%, which comes to $3,926.  The board unanimously approved entering into the program.

Someone approached the village office saying they had a tiny house on wheels that they would like to put up somewhere in Enfield.  Not knowing how to classify that, the board decided to get more information before coming to any decision.

Resident Amy Arvin addressed the board about the alley behind her property, saying there are sinkholes due to problems with the drainage system.  The utilities department will look into it and see what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Deborah Campbell and Lacey Bradshaw were representing Kyle Hosick, who had recently purchased the old insurance building.  They are working currently on getting the building ready and are willing to work with the board any way they can.

The Animal Control report included a problem dog had been removed from town, two dogs were found and claimed by their owners, there is a loose pitbull, and a dogfight was broken up.

In the Utilities Report, Andrew Inboden’s 60 day assessment went well with no problems.  Also, potholes are now being filled.

The board adjourned at 8:50 PM.

SHARE NOW

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *