Two people and a family pet were injured Tuesday evening after a mobile home exploded on Gilpin Street according to a press release by Police Chief Jason Carter.
Carmi Police, Carmi Fire Department, White County Sheriff’s Department, and White County Ambulance Service personnel were dispatched to a fire call at 1310 Gilpin Street at 6:32 pm and were advised that there had been some type of explosion. Upon arrival at the scene, officers spoke to an employee from Consumers Gas that witnessed the explosion, and learned that he had been dispatched for a gas leak reported at the residence.
A male and female subject who were inside the mobile home at the time of the explosion were treated at the scene by Ambulance Service personnel and were then transported by helicopter to a burn center for treatment of their injuries. The dog was located by a family member and taken to an animal hospital. The names of the victims have not been released.
Carmi firefighters extinguished the blaze, and Fire Chief Larry Hite has contacted the State Fire Marshal’s Office to investigate the fire.