Egyptian Health Department was notified on Monday, April 6, 2020 of a Saline County resident who tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual, a female in her 40’s, is at home and doing well. The individual had already been following appropriate guidelines prior to notification of the confirmed results. This is the second laboratory confirmed positive of COVID-19 in Saline County. Illinois Department of Public Health, the local healthcare provider, Egyptian Health Department, and the individual have all been notified and are monitoring the situation.
The number of COVID-19 cases in Illinois has risen dramatically over the past week. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), on April 6, 2020, the confirmed total of COVID-19 in the State is 12,262 individuals.
We can expect more cases to be confirmed locally, PLEASE NOTE, per Illinois Department of Public Health:
- There are likely a large number of cases with no symptoms in each community that have not been confirmed by a test.
- Many people who are ill may not have been tested yet.
- Many who have tested positive are no longer contagious as the number of tests being conducted is increasing.
The number of cases can be reduced by adhering to public health guidance on social distancing, washing hands frequently, disinfecting commonly touched surfaces, and staying home when you are ill.
COVID-19 shares many symptoms with more common respiratory diseases. If you have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for further guidance. In addition, several COVID-19 hotlines have been established:
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- 1-800-889-3931 DPH.SICK.ILLINOIS.GOV
- Southern Illinois Healthcare (SIH)
- Ferrell Hospital (Triage Nurse)
- (618) 273-2275
- Harrisburg Medical Center
Clinicians are there to answer questions, assess each caller and advise on next steps.