Current Weather

WRUL On Air Now

Cathy Taylor
Cathy Taylor
9:00am - 2:00pm

WROY On Air Now

Scott Mareing
Scott Mareing
10:00am - 2:00pm

RLC Truck Driver Training program enrolling for upcoming classes

In as little as six weeks, locals can hit the road and start a new career in truck driving. The next round of Truck Driver Training courses at Rend Lake College are enrolling now for permit and driving classes that start Tuesday,Nov. 29.

Divided into two parts, the first permit class (TRUK 1201) is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 29 through Thursday, Dec. 1 for students to take and pass an examination for entry into the certificate program. The one-hour course includes test preparation and costs $115.

After passing the written exam, students will participate in six weeks of driving in Truck Driver Training I (TRUK 1202) and II (TRUK 1203). At the conclusion of the driving portions, students will be tested by the Secretary of State to receive a Class A CDL license. The two driving courses cost $4,090, for a total program cost of $4,205.

Students enrolled in the Truck Driver Training certificate program receive hands-on practice from experienced instructors. Graduates of the certificate program can also work toward occupational certificates in Heavy Equipment Transportation. This certificate goes more in-depth to teach students about the maintenance, repair and operation of semi-tractor trailer units.

To find out more about the program, contact the RLC Truck Driver Training Center at 1-877-477-4408. To enroll, contact RLC’s Community and Corporate Education Division at 618-437-5321, Ext. 1367.

A GED or high school diploma is not required for admittance into the program. Interstate students must be 21 years of age and intrastate students must be 18 years of age to enroll. Students must also be able to meet the Federal DOT physical requirement and have a valid driver’s license at the time of registration.

A physical and drug screening with a DOT-certified physician designated by the college is required of all enrollees. At the time of registration, students must provide their Motor Vehicle Record documentation from a local Secretary of State facility.