TEUTOPOLIS…State Representative Adam Niemerg (R-Dieterich) is encouraging people to nominate their favorite teacher to be honored as the Illinois Teacher of the Year for 2022. Sponsored by the Illinois State Board of Education(ISBE)Nominations are due by April 23 and completed applications by May 21. Other recognitions include “Early Childhood Teacher of the Year,” “Bilingual Teacher of the Year,” “Special Education Teacher of the Year,” “Outstanding Early Career Educator of the Year,” and “Those Who Excel Awards” for Educational Service Personnel, Community Volunteer, Administrator, Student Support Personnel, and Team.
“We have many wonderful teachers and dedicated education personnel in our schools and this is an opportunity for us to nominate them for one of these recognitions,” said Rep. Adam Niemerg. “This past year has been exceptionally challenging with remote learning and rotating schedules for students and I’m proud of the teachers in our area who have stepped up their efforts and are helping to get kids back in the classroom full time with a return to extracurricular activities and sports that our children need for positive learning and development.”
The Illinois State Board of Education has sponsored the Illinois Teacher of the Year program since 1970 recognizing the best of the teaching profession in Illinois. All public and non-public preK-12 educators in Illinois with more than five years of teaching experience are eligible.
The top nominees from eight regions are designated as Regional Teachers of the Year; the Illinois Teacher of the Year is selected from those regional winners. The Outstanding Early Career Educator award is presented to the top teacher in Illinois with one to four years of teaching experience. Remaining nominees are awarded on two levels: Meritorious Service and Special Recognition.
To be considered for Teacher of the Year, individuals must go through a two-stage process: Nomination and Application. Once the nomination form is completed and submitted, pending approval, an email will be sent to the nominee containing the link to the 2022 Illinois Teacher of the Year application. Application packets that do not meet all requirements will not be processed. Nominations must be submitted by Friday, April 23, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (CDT).
A candidate for 2022 Illinois Teacher of the Year MUST:
· Have completed a minimum of 5 full years of teaching at the end of this school year;
· Teach in an Illinois school district during this 2020-21 school year more than 50% of the school day;
· Intend to hold a teaching position in an Illinois School district during the 2021-22 and 2022-23 school years.
A candidate for Teacher of the Year SHOULD demonstrate:
· A willingness to advocate for students and teachers;
· Active collaboration within the professional learning community and with parents and families;
· Exceptional dedication, knowledge, and skill in any state-approved or accredited school, pre-kindergarten through grade 12;
· Inspiration to students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn;
· A high level of respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues; and
· Leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom that embody lifelong learning.