Board adopts 2017 tax levy
The board adopted the 2017 tax levy (payable 2018). The corporate and special purposes levy went from $3,379,083 in 2016 to $3,547,797 in 2017, an increase of 4.99 percent. The debt service levy went from $2,901,908 in 2016 to $3,117,676 in 2017, an increase of 7.44 percent. Because the corporate and special purposes levy is not greater than 105 percent of last year’s levy, no Truth in Taxation hearing is required.
RLC, SIUC ink articulation agreement for History
An articulation agreement between Rend Lake College and Southern Illinois University Carbondale was approved Tuesday. This agreement allows students to complete an Associate of Arts degree in History at RLC and transfer seamlessly to SIUC’s Bachelor of Arts in History program provided they have successfully completed the agreed-upon coursework.
The board heard a report on the college’s reaffirmation of accreditation activities. The college is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is due for an evaluation by the HLC in September 2018. The board learned that the Quality Initiative project, which in this case is RLC’s First-Year Experience orientation program, received a positive review from HLC. The Quality Initiative project is an important part of the overall accreditation effort.
In curriculum matters …
The board approved development of an online Supervision course and two hybrid courses, Creative Writing and Office Accounting; approved redevelopment of the Principles of Marketing course; approved withdrawal of the Photography I and II classes; approved changes to several Health Information Technology courses and two Medical Assistant courses; and approved changes to the Medical Assistant curricula. The board also authorized submission of these items to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
In other business, the board …
· Heard a report from Dr. Elizabeth Bailey-Smith of the Academic Council covering the curriculum matters taken up by the board Tuesday and reporting on additional meetings and activities.
· Approved revisions to board policy concerning the tenured / tenure-track faculty and staff seniority list (second reading), travel reimbursement (second reading), background checks for potential and current employees (first reading) and return to work certification (first reading).
· Approved revisions to board policy concerning fees and the criteria for awarding credit.
· Approved revisions to board policy and procedure concerning enrollment of international students (first reading).
· Approved creation of board policy and procedure concerning media relations (first reading) and student employment (first reading).
· Approved an unpaid leave of absence for an employee.
· Ratified payment of college expenses including travel reimbursements.
Mark your calendars …
· RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, Benton Civic Center.
· Criminal Justice Roundup for Scholarships, 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 23, Mt. Vernon Event Center, Salon C (formerly the Holiday Inn).
· Southeast Region Trustees Meeting, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, Pat Kern Private Dining Area.
· RLC Halloween Party, 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 26, The Rec.
· Fall Play: Sleeping Beauty of Loreland, 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 2-4, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 5, RLC Theatre. Tickets $12.
· Fall Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, RLC Theatre.
· Spoken Word / Open Mic Night, 6:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 13, King City Books, Mt. Vernon.
· RLC Foundation Annual Dinner Meeting, 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, Holiday Inn / DoubleTree Inn, Mt. Vernon.
· RLC Faculty / Staff Holiday Luncheon, Friday, Dec. 8, Waugh Gymnasium.