PoolPak bid accepted
The board accepted the low bid of $198,700 from Rend Lake Plumbing and Heating (Bonnie) to replace the PoolPak unit at the Rend Lake College Aquatics Center, pending approval of the RLC Foundation Board of Directors on Feb. 6, 2018. The existing PoolPak is original to the building and has exceeded its operational life expectancy. The RLC Foundation has agreed to fund the project.
Sveda-Webb, Waldman moving on
The board accepted with regret the resignations of two employees Tuesday evening.
· Rachel Sveda-Webb, Financial Aid and Admissions Coordinator, effective Jan. 15, 2018. A former student trustee to the RLC Board, she has been with the college full-time since August 2008. “I cannot express my gratitude enough for the mentors I have had, the friends I have made, and the lessons I have learned,” Sveda-Webb wrote in her resignation letter. “I have lived in this community my entire life, and I will continue to be a fierce advocate for the college and all it does to help students have a better tomorrow than they have today.”
· Whitney Waldman, Coordinator of the RLC MarketPlace in Mt. Vernon, effective Jan. 5, 2018. She had been with the college full-time since September 2013. “The past four years have been very rewarding. I’ve enjoyed working for you and contributing to the best community college in the nation,” Waldman wrote in her resignation letter. “This institution has grown me professionally and personally in ways that I am forever grateful and thankful for.”
The board heard a report on the college’s reaffirmation of accreditation activities. The college is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is due for an evaluation by the HLC in September 2018. The HLC co-coordinators met last month to review the status of the assurance argument, which is designed to prove the college meets HLC five Criteria of Accreditation, and to prioritize sections for additional writing and research.
In other business, the board …
· Ratified payment of college expenses including travel reimbursements.
· Approved revisions to board procedure concerning stipends.
· Authorized destruction of closed session tapes after having been held for 18 months, in accordance with the Illinois Open Meetings Act. The board also approved not releasing closed session minutes from the January 2016 through June 2016 meetings as provided by IOMA.
· Approved creation of policy and procedure concerning the review and publication of Student Right to Know information, campus security disclosures, student policies and recruitment materials.
· Approved the 2017-2018 Family Handbook for the RLC Foundation Children’s Center.
Mark your calendars …
· Visiting Artist: Erica Burton, Jan. 15-March 2, Theatre lobby.
· Thespian Comedy Improv, 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 25, Theatre.
· WYSE 2018 Competition, Wednesday, Feb. 7, Waugh Gymnasium.
· Faculty / Staff In-Service, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, RLC campus.
· RLC Basketball Homecoming Games vs. Lincoln Trail College, women’s game at 5:30 p.m., men’s game at 7:30 p.m.; Waugh Gymnasium.
· Career Fair, Friday, March 2, RLC Campus.
· Spoken Word and Open Mic Night, 6:30 p.m. Monday, March 5, King City Books, Mt. Vernon.
· Kickstart Your Journey, Thursday-Friday, March 22-23, RLC campus.
· Spring Musical: The Addams Family, 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, April 5-7, and 2 p.m. Sunday, April 8, RLC Theatre.
· Higher Learning Commission Annual Conference, Thursday-Monday, April 5-9, Hyatt Regency Chicago.
· Job Search Party, 3-6 p.m. Thursday, April 12, Mt. Vernon Hotel and Event Center.