Trader seated as new Student Trustee
Mackenzie Trader, a sophomore from Scheller, was seated as the new student member of the Board of Trustees following a March election. The Waltonville High School graduate is studying Agriculture Business and Agricultural Production and Management, and plans to transfer to Murray State University to continue her education in Agronomy. She hopes to one day become a crop and soil consultant. Trader replaces outgoing student member Grace Pytlinski, who was recognized for her year of service Tuesday.
Two articulation agreements receive approval, one updated
The board approved two articulation agreements designed to ease transfer of RLC students to two universities. The board also ratified an existing agreement.
· An articulation agreement with Southern Illinois University Carbondale will allow graduates of Rend Lake College’s Industrial Technology program to transfer to SIUC’s Industrial Management and Applied Engineering program.
· An articulation agreement with Missouri Baptist University will allow graduates of RLC’s Associate in Applied Science or Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree programs to transfer to MBU’s Bachelor of Science or Arts in Criminal Justice; Bachelor of Science or Arts in Behavioral Science; or Bachelor of Professional Studies in Applied Management degree programs.
· An articulation agreement with Southern Illinois University Carbondale was ratified to correspond with updated curriculum in RLC’s Medical Assistant program. All other provisions of the agreement remain in full effect.
These agreements are intended to smooth the transition for RLC graduates and to maximize the transfer of credits.
Prible joins IT staff as Report Writer
Daniel Prible, Reporter Writer, effective March 26, was ratified Tuesday. Prible has 10 years of experience managing databases as well as working with various ERP systems. Prible will fill a position left vacant by the transfer of James Featherstone to Coordinator of Data Information Systems, effective in February.
Gonzalez transfers to HSSSC / IT Help Desk Support Technician
Aaron Gonzalez, HSSSC / IT Help Desk Support Technician, effective April 9, was ratified Tuesday. Gonzalez has been a part-time computer technician at RLC since 2014 and is familiar with the IT personnel and culture.
The board heard a report on the college’s reaffirmation of accreditation activities. The college is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is due for a comprehensive evaluation visit by the HLC September 24-25, 2018. Several members of the Steering Committee recently attended the Higher Learning Commission annual conference in Chicago. The group will be comparing notes and finalizing the draft of the Assurance Argument in the coming days.
In other business, the board …
· Approved revision to college policy and procedure concerning alcohol and drug policy (second reading).
· Approved course and curriculum changes presented by the Academic Council, including prefix changes to four existing courses, changes to the existing IT Systems Specialist AAS degree, and the withdrawal of over 300 inactive courses.
· Approved the Nursing and Radiologic Technology student handbooks for the 2018-19 academic year.
· Approved revisions to policy and procedure concerning computation of hourly rate of pay for part-time employees (first reading).
· Approved revisions to policy and procedure concerning dual credit (first reading).
· Approved the creation of policy and procedure concerning accident and incident reporting (first reading).
Mark your calendars …
· Job Search Party, 3-6 p.m. Thursday, April 12, Mt. Vernon Hotel and Event Center.
· Phi Theta Kappa Induction, 2 p.m. Thursday, April 19, RLC Theatre.
· Studio RLC Open House, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 24, RLC MarketPlace.
· Lake Reception, 5 p.m. Thursday, April 19, King City Books, Mt. Vernon. Lake is RLC’s fine arts publication.
· Children’s Health Fair, Thursday, April 26, The Rec on campus.
· Flummoxed Fairy Tales, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Thursday-Friday, April 26-27, RLC Theatre.
· RLC Music Showcase, 3 p.m. Sunday, April 29, RLC Theatre.
· Speech Contest, 3 p.m. Monday, April 30, Academic 209.
· Jefferson County CEO Trade Show, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 3, DoubleTree, Mt. Vernon.
· RLC Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 3, RLC Theatre.
· Annual Board / Faculty Staff Awards, 3 p.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday, May 8, RLC Theatre.
· Radiologic Technology Pinning Ceremony, 1 p.m. Thursday, May 10, RLC Theatre.
· Associate Degree Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 10, Waugh Gymnasium.
· HSE/GED Graduation, 1:30 p.m. Friday, May 11, Waugh Gymnasium.
· RLC Commencement, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, May 12, 2018, Waugh Gymnasium.