Schumm takes seat as Student Trustee; Pytlinski recognized
Eric Schumm, the new student member of the RLC Board of Trustees, was seated Tuesday night. He replaces outgoing Student Trustee Claire Pytlinski of Waltonville, who was recognized for her year of service with a plaque. Board Chair Eric Black and RLC President Terry Wilkerson expressed their appreciation for her service. Schumm (Wayne City) is studying Agricultural Business and Agricultural Production and Management as a freshman at RLC. Additional information about Schumm will be forthcoming in a separate release.
Bids awarded for two projects
The board accepted two bids for projects Tuesday.
- The low bid of $45,980 from Geissler Roofing of Belleville was accepted for the replacement of the EPDM roof on the Theatre lobby ($23,220) and to replace the existing roof on the Art room ($22,760). This project will be funded by Protection, Health and Safety funds.
- The low bid of $62,900 from Southern Illinois Piping Contractors Inc. of Carbondale was accepted to replace the 10 fan coil units in the North Oasis. This project also will be funded with PHS levy funds.
Website redesign presented to board
The redesigned college website, www.rlc.edu, was presented to the board by Nathan Wheeler, Marketing Specialist, and Garrett Collier, Network Specialist. The site features a more modern, cleaner look and features improvements in appearance, efficiency and navigation. It also features more responsiveness for mobile platforms and is a thinner design, packing more functionality into a smaller number of pages.
Retirement resignations receive approval
The board accepted with regret two retirement resignations Tuesday night.
- Cindy Corn, Health and Physical Education Professor, effective May 31, 2017. “Rend Lake College has been a great place to work and a wonderful place for my kids to attend and graduate,” Corn wrote in her retirement letter. She has been employed full-time with RLC since August 1989.
- Arvella Waugh, Administrative Assistant for the Math and Sciences Division, effective Aug. 31, 2019. “Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of the Rend Lake College family,” Waugh wrote in her retirement letter. She has been employed full-time with RLC since September 2003.
In other business, the board …
- Approved several curriculum matters and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action. These included: development of four online courses – Intro to Medical Coding, Intermediate Medical Coding, Anatomy and Physiology Fundamentals, and Intro to Computers with Business Applications; approval of a new Mathematical Pathways course; title and curriculum hour change for the Medical Office Specialist, Medical Office Assistant and Medical Office Associate programs; and inactivation of the Administrative Assistant and Office Assistant programs.
- Approved new policy and procedure regarding mission statement review (second reading).
- Approved revisions to board policy regarding fringe benefits and variable tuition and fees for special college-sponsored activities (both first readings).
- Approval of revisions to alcohol and drug policy and procedure (first reading).
- Granted permission to advertise the sale of, receive bids for and sell the continuous miner.
- Approved the sale of obsolete materials, including fixtures, dimmer switches, control pads, a dimmer board and other items.
- Approved revisions to salaries for 11 physical plant employees.
Mark your calendars …
- Student Art Show, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 14, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Spring Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, April 21, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Banquet, Saturday, April 23, Waugh Gymnasium.
- STARS Annual Student Award Ceremony, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 26, Waugh Gymnasium.
- Annual Board / Faculty / Staff Awards, 4-5:30 p.m. Monday, May 2, RLC Theatre.
- Associate Degree Nursing Pinning Ceremony, 7 p.m. Thursday, May 12, Waugh Gymnasium.
- Commencement, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, May 14, Waugh Gymnasium.
- ICCTA Annual Convention, Friday-Saturday, June 3-4, Springfield.