Governor Bruce Rauner today announced his five selections to the Illinois School Funding Reform Commission. In addition, Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) Chairman Rev. James Meeks will act as the liaison between the Commission and ISBE.
· Beth Purvis, Secretary of Education (Commission Chairperson)
· Evelyn Sanguinetti, Lieutenant Governor
· James Dimas, Secretary of the Department of Human Services
· Jennifer Hammer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy
· Jodi Scott, Regional Superintendent of Schools for Henderson, Knox, Mercer, and Warren Counties
Role of ISBE in Commission
The mission of ISBE is to provide leadership and resources to achieve excellence across all Illinois districts through engaging legislators, school administrators, teachers, students, parents, and other stakeholders in formulating and advocating for policies that enhance education, empower districts, and ensure equitable outcomes for all students.
Given its role and mission, ISBE will have the responsibility of enacting any changes to the funding formula passed into law, so must remain a neutral arbiter of the commission work.
Superintendent Smith and the ISBE team will be asked to support the work of the commission, with specific emphasis on providing conceptual and statistical feedback to the commission regarding proposed funding models.