Temperatures are dropping across the Tri-State which means many people will be heating up their homes.
However, that could create a big problem.
According to the U.S Fire Administration, nearly 45,000 houses caught fire between 2013 and 2015 after people tried heating their homes.
That resulted in almost 200 deaths.
That’s why fire officials are offering tips to help people stay safe and warm this season.
If you’re going to use your space heater, have one that’s been checked.
Do not plug in extension cords unless you have to.
When you’re pulling those space heaters out of storage, make sure they are properly cleaned and to keep them nearly three feet away from objects.
Try not to sleep with your stoves on and any other way you may supplement the house.
Please don’t use generators or anything inside the house that could possibly cause a fire.
If you need your smoke detector checked, you can always contact your local fire department.