Did you know that the Monarch Butterfly is the state insect of Illinois? Unfortunately, Monarch Butterfly numbers have decreased by a whopping 90%! What can you do to help? Stop by the Carmi Township Office located at 304 Church Street in Carmi; and pick up a FREE packet of butterfly milkweed seed to plant in a flowerbed or garden. Limited supply available.
· One monarch caterpillar will eat 20-25 leaves.
· Milkweed is the only plant a monarch will lay its eggs on.
· 12 kinds of milkweed grow in the Midwest.
· Monarchs are unable to fly when the temperature is below 50 degrees.
· They have a cruising flight of 12 miles per hour.
· A Monarch is named after King William of Orange
Educational YouTube videos are also available to answer every question you may have about monarchs. Just search for: Kay MacNeil Milkweed to Monarchs.